- Inflammation of the paranasal sinuses lasting more than 12 weeks.
- Diagnosis is initially clinical. Nasal endoscopy may show inflammation, purulent discharge, edema, or frank polyps.
- Medical treatment includes prolonged courses of antibiotics, corticosteroids (intranasal or systemic), saline irrigation, antihistamines, and leukotriene receptor antagonists.
- CT is needed if initial medical treatment fails.
- Functional endoscopic sinus surgery is very effective for patients unresponsive to medical treatment.