- Noninvasive cancer that originates in lobules or ducts.
- Typically asymptomatic and diagnosed at screening.
- Tamoxifen can be used to prevent ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) disease progression and lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS) progression to invasive carcinoma.
- Screening is recommended by most organizations issuing guidelines, in all women aged ≥40 years with annual bilateral mammography.
- Diagnosis is with mammography, supplemented with other imaging, such as ultrasound or MRI, and biopsy.
- Some patients may decide to have preventive bilateral mastectomy.
- There are different approaches. Margin width remains something that is debated.